I recently did a segment of “Help for the Home” on CTV Winnipeg morning news with Eleanor Coopsammy on decorating for a small space. Here are some tips for making a small space appear larger than what it really is:
- Choose cooler, lighter, paint colors for the walls as they will appear to recede.
- Unify the space with colors of similar value and intensity
- Carry the same floor through out the home as it unifies the space.
- Large mirrors, because of their reflective nature, will give the illusion of a larger space.
- Glass topped tables will make the space appear larger, because you will see more of the floor.
- If using wall paper, keep the scale small to medium.
- Emphasise window or door openings. This will allow the eye to travel through to the outdoors or into another room which will give the affect of a larger space.
- Avoid clutter because it will eat up space
- Use lots of light, so that every square inch of the space is seen
- Avoid too much texture.
I hope this helps anyone decorating and trying to make the most out of their small space.